In the remote eastern corner of Botswana, at the confluence of the Limpopo and Shashe rivers, lies an area known historically as the Tuli enclave - a diverse wilderness of savannah, riverine forests, marshland, open plains and sandstone outcrops. It is here that Mashatu Game Reserve is situated.
Mashatu is home to no less than seven of Africa's giants: the elephant; the baobab tree; the eland; the ostrich; the kori bustard; Kipling's mighty Limpopo River and the endless African sky. It is known as the Land of the Giants. Along the river courses, the huge Mashatu trees, for which the reserve is named, provide shade for impala, wildebeest, giraffe and zebra.
There are large herds of elephant, prides of lion and cheetah, whilst at night the bat-eared fox, African wild cat and magnificent leopard search for prey.
Mashatu proudly provides a refuge for the largest, single population of elephant on privately-owned land in Africa. Known as the relic herds of Shashe, these elephants, some seven hundred in number, are a living testament to the vast herds that once wandered the Limpopo Valley. Mashatu, with its experienced Tswana rangers and trackers and radio-linked 4x4 vehicles, offers you a personalised wildlife experience.
At the end of an unforgettable game drive, experience the well-known hospitality of Mashatu Main Camp. Enjoy dinner around the fire in the boma, under a canopy of a million stars, overlooking the flood-lit waterhole. Relax around the pool, or on the thatched veranda, and experience the "at home" friendliness and service. Accommodation at Main Camp comprises one suite and eleven twin superior rooms - these have two bathrooms for each room, and a shaded verandah, connected by french windows, which afford magnificent views. The suite also has a sitting room. There are also five standard rooms each with private bathroom. The camp has a magnificent viewing deck, rather handily placed directly off the bar, and an elevated lounge overlooking the water-hole.
Nestled in the remote northern area of the reserve lies Mashatu Tent Camp. Seven twin tents provide rustic accommodation with every comfort. There is an open sided thatched deck where meals are served, and a traditional boma for intimate camp-fire dinners. Mashatu Game Reserve offers the excitement of big game viewing, the relaxation of unspoilt Africa and the quiet luxury of the camps - enjoy!
· Game drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles inclusive
· Game walks inclusive
· All meals and snacks inclusive
· Main Camp - 24-hour electricity, air-conditioning and heating
· Main Camp - Safari Bar and Safari Boutique
· Main Camp - 12 Superior rooms, including 1 suite and 5 family rooms
· Main Camp - 5 standard rooms
· Main Camp - 2 private bathrooms for each superior room, 1 private bathroom for standard rooms
· Main Camp - Private verandahs off superior rooms
· Main Camp - children welcome, but those under 5 may not dine in boma or be taken on game drives, unless parents have reserved sole use of Landrover
· Tent Camp - Safari Bar and Safari Boutique
· Tent Camp - limited solar power and fans in tent
· Tent Camp - hide overlooking waterhole
· Tent Camp - 7 twin bedded tents with private bathroom
· Tent Camp - filtered plunge pool
· Tent Camp - children over 12 welcome