Situated in Mpumalanga, and adjacent to the Kruger National Park, Mala Mala is part of a conservation gene pool that covers 5.5 million acres of land with habitat types ranging from riverine thicket to open savannah. There is an enormous diversification of animal species whilst the ever changing birdlife provides even the most experienced ornithologist with rare finds.
All game viewing is in open 4-wheel drive safari vehicles which allows for total freedom of movement and the ability to leave the road and track down all of Africa's Big Five - lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo.
Viewing success is exceptional which is attributable to the sheer size of Mala Mala - 45,000 acres of pristine game viewing land - and to human intrusion being minimal. Mala Mala also subscribes to the most scientific ecological management programme with assistance from the top scientists in the field. The Managing Director of the Reserve has won many awards for conservation and eco-tourism. The luxurious camps in Mala Mala offer guests an exclusive and private opportunity to view African wildlife at its best.
Mala Mala Main Camp is set in beautiful surroundings on the banks of the Sand River. Ochre coloured buildings are clustered amid shady trees and manicured lawns overlooking the Sand River.
The rooms are spacious bungalows under thatch enjoying spectacular views. Individually and stylishly decorated in keeping with the location, they feature charming animal and bird prints, and the luxury of "his" and "hers" bathrooms - ensuring an harmonious start to your early morning game drives! Dinner, where one may enjoy venison specialities and haute bush cuisine, is served in the grand old African manner, under the stars in a reed enclosed boma - a Mala Mala tradition for over 60 years.
The spacious, beautifully decorated Buffalo Lounge displaying bronzes, works of art and animal trophies leads onto an expansive wooden deck which provides an elevated view of animals watering in the Sand River. Watering for guests is at the well-stocked Safari Bar or, alternatively, if it is a cooling dip you need, in the filtered swimming pool. Visitors to Mala Mala may also stay at Kirkman's Kamp and Cottage, named after one of Africa's foremost conservationists.
The Kamp is a collection of cottages clustered around a main house, and decorated in the same style, with ball and claw baths. Each cottage is air-conditioned and has its own verandah. This is historical Africa, but with the addition of a swimming pool and air conditioning. Harry's Camp, different in ambience again, offers you a return to the wilds. It is the smallest and most intimate of the three camps.
The Ndebele-styled and decorated buildings are clustered amidst mature, indigenous trees and emerald green lawns that sweep down to the Sand River's edge. The emphasis here is on outdoor living with all meals taken under the wide African sky. A large viewing deck and air-conditioned bar with floor to ceiling windows further enhance the game viewing experience at Harry's.
The exhilarating game drives and guided walks in beautiful unspoilt wilderness, dramatised by the close encounters with game, big and small, and enhanced by a choice of superb accommodation ensure a wonderful stay at Mala Mala.
· 24-hour electricity, air conditioning and heating at all camps
· Main Camp - 25 luxury twins including 5 suites/family rooms
· Main Camp - all rooms have:- two bathrooms per bedroom, heated towel rails, hair dryers, bath robes, mini-bars, mini-safes, insect repellent, complimentary bottled water, private verandah, insect proof screening, fax facility available
· Main Camp - Filtered swimming pool, Daily New York Times Fax, Safari Bar, Safari Boutique, Wine Cellar, The Monkey Club - Video Den/Library, Gymnasium
· Kirkman's Kamp and Cottage - 18 twin rooms
· Kirkman's Kamp and Cottage - all rooms have:- hair dryers, bath robes, insect repellent, purified water, private verandah, tea and coffee making facilities, insect proof screening
· Kirkman's Kamp and Cottage - Filtered swimming pool, tennis court - rackets and balls available, fax facility available, Safari Bar, Safari Boutique
· Harry's Camp - 12 twin rooms
· Harry's Camp - all rooms have:- purified water, insect proof screening, tea and coffee making facilities
· Harry's Camp - Filtered swimming pool, Safari Bar, Safari Boutique
In all three camps all rooms have:-
· Private bathroom
· International direct-dial telephones
· Complimentary laundry service