Governors' Camp lies on the banks of the Mara River in the west of the famous Masai Mara Game Reserve. The camp is in a spot once reserved for the colonial governors of Kenya and their royal visitors.
Created in 1972, it set new standards in luxury as a tented camp, placing particular emphasis on comfort and service. Maintaining these qualities, the camp has been refined and improved over the years. However, special care has been taken to preserve an atmosphere in which today's traveller may share some of the experiences of classic safari and enjoy the landscape and wildlife that so inspired adventurers such as Hemingway. To this end all guest facilities are under canvas and all accommodation tents are carefully positioned for uninterrupted views from their verandas of either the Mara River or the rolling plains of the Masai lands.
However, living under canvas does not mean lack of comfort. Each tent is stylishly decorated and has a shower room with 24-hour hot water. Early morning tea and ginger biscuits are brought to your tent, meals are absolutely delicious - many people dress up for dinner - and fresh milk is flown in daily!
It is the wildlife that brings most visitors to the Mara. Governors' can send real zealots off on full day safaris with a picnic lunch - these are particularly popular during the great Wildebeest Migration. Others prefer to take an early morning game drive followed by mid-morning and afternoon drives. Mealtimes are flexible so you will not miss lunch because you spent too long watching lions. It will be served on your return. The camp is run for your convenience and pleasure.
· Game drives
· Walking safaris
· Fishing - Lake Victoria and Governors' Mfangano Island Camp is 40 min plane ride - you may fish for Nile Perch - the birding is also very good
· Picnic lunches
· Balloon safaris, with champagne breakfast cooked over balloon burners in the bush, available
· Fully stocked bar tent overlooking Mara River
· Dining tent with wines and liqueurs
· Art Gallery displaying works of local artists
· Children of all ages catered for
· Special bush dinners and sunset cocktail parties provided on request
30 twin bedded tents and 8 double tents each with private veranda and shower room. Private and secluded honeymoon tent available