Elegant Bateleur Camp is set amongst the forests on the edge of the Masai Mara, just below the spot in which the most famous scene from the motion picture "Out of Africa" was filmed. The camp itself recreates the authentic feel of safari during the early days of the twentieth century, when hordes of porters would carry all that was deemed necessary for sophisticated comfort to the camping place.
A vast tented area with polished floors, leather chairs, huge, squashy buttermilk cushions, an open fire and piles of books welcomes the traveller. A large veranda looks out over the plains of the Mara and is the perfect spot for drinks. The nine-tented rooms are supremely luxurious and shingle-shaded. The utter bliss of crisp linen-sheeted beds cooled by the idle rhythm of the ceiling fan, of sparkling crystal, of softly shining hardwoods, evokes the Africa of Hemingway and Blixen. A wonderfully efficient butler service ensures serious comfort. The shower room has twin white basins let into a gorgeous dark wood surface. All the tents have verandas, furnished with comfy leather club chairs, and with lovely views.
Game drives are taken in custom-designed open land rovers, which are brilliant for photographers. A 12.5 metre-long lap pool, with views into the distance of grassland and riverine forest, awaits the traveller dusty from a game drive among the Mara's abundant wildlife. Very stylish, woven lounge’s surround the pool and demand to be lazed upon. In the evenings sundowners are followed by delicious Pan-African cuisine under the night sky. Port and cigars in front of an open fire round off the day. Lanterns are placed along the paths at night; lighting the way back to your tent and making the mica in the stepping-stones sparkle magically.
· Swimming pool
· Game drives in open land rovers
· Night game drives on private concession from Masai landlords
· Guided walks
· Masai community visits
· Camp is directly in the path of famous annual migration of wildebeest and zebra from the Serengeti to the Masai Mara
· Curio shop (larger shop at Kichwa Tembo main camp)
· Daily scheduled flights from Wilson Airport, Nairobi
· Hot air ballooning available
· 9 twin-bedded tents (convertible to double) with private verandas. Each tent has shower, private w/c, ceiling fans, writing desk, safe, hairdryer