This luxurious tented camp lies at the confluence of the reserve's four main game viewing area, and enjoys prime views of the spectacular wildebeest migration between June and September. During the remainder of the year, herds of watering elephant, giraffe and other animals can be seen from your private verandah.
This exclusive camp offers ten luxurious, well-spaced tents, each with its own private deck overlooking the Talek River. Seven of the tents have giant double beds and three have twin beds. All are furnished in a classic blend of ancient and modern, with fine hand-carved mahogany furniture, rich African artefacts and luxurious bathrooms with twin basins and all modern amenities. The tents are specially designed to open up to the sky and each boasts a private, open-air Victorian bathtub from which guests may enjoy a unique new perspective of the African bush!
An intimate canvas covered dining area looks out over the river and meals are served using fresh vegetables and herbs grown in the camp gardens. Meals can also be enjoyed on your verandah, or at one of the specially selected "bush sites" close to the camp. Next door, the camp bar provides beautiful river views and a well stocked library, while the spacious lounge offers large luxurious sofas. All public areas are decorated with old African artefacts and memorabilia from the early days of African safari.
Mara Explorer was constructed as an eco-friendly camp and its operations are designed to have a minimal impact on the fragile Talek ecosystem. Waste is mulched for compost and briquettes made from used coffee husks fuel water heating. The company also runs a Community Development fund and guests are invited to visit the local institutions that benefit from the fund. These, and visits to the villagers' own manyattas, offer a fascinating insight into traditional Masai life.
· Personal game drives with experienced guides in custom-built 4x4s
· Walking safaris in Mara Conservation Area
· Bush breakfasts and dinner
· Visits to Masai communities supported by the camp
· Transfers for early morning hot air balloon rides
· Arrangements for fishing safaris to Lake Victoria
· Lectures and slide shows on Masai culture and wildlife
· Riverfront dining area and luxurious lounge
· Bar and library
· Reliable 240v electrical supply
· Swimming pool at sister camp
· All weather air strip - less than an hour from Nairobi by plane